Project LIFE Energy as implemented in thirteen SPAs (Special Protection Areas) in the period of 1st September 2014 - 31st December 2019 and was aimed at protecting the ten priority bird species. Project pages are currently updated only on an occasional basis.
FireFly, lamella or spiral - are the types of special elements – flight diverters, which have been gradually found in Slovakia since 2016 on the risk sections of power lines through the LIFE Energy project. They help the birds and prevent deadly collisions. On the occasion of the European Bird Days, which we celebrate the next weekend, the Raptor Protection of Slovakia has published a map of sections, where flight diverters are already installed and it can be seen by the public. Nowadays is the ideal time for such walks - during the autumn migration, the birds clump to the flocks and show to the nature lovers a unique theater.
"Collisions of the birds to wires are related to the fact that power lines have been in the country for only a few decades. The bird is not always able to record the obstacle ahead just in time, and then there is an impact on the line. By detailed monitoring, we have found that this is most often the case in the areas in which power lines cross the food and nesting habitats, or where such a line is perpendicular to the main migration route or crosses the watercourse. We controlled seven thousand kilometers of 22 kV and 110 kV overhead lines, and we identified the sections with the highest risk of collision. On them are installed flight diverters. There are several products; the LIFE Energy project uses an orange spiral, FireFly and black and white lamellas, "says Marek Gális from Raptor Protection of Slovakia.
• You can find out more about the project LIFE13 NAT/SK/001272 ENERGIA on the web site www.lifeenergia.sk , eventually www.facebook.com/lifeenergia.sk.
• Project is supported by European Union within a LIFE program. It contributes significantly to improvement of conditions for the criterial species of birds in Natura 2000 sites.
The map of safe power line sections with installed flight diverters can be found here. It is specifically about the following areas:
• Záhorie: Skalické rybníky, Adamovské rybníky, Gajary, Jakubov, Jakubovské rybníky, Zohor a Vysoká pri Morave,
• Podunajsko: Trávnik, Klížska Nemá, Čalovec, Kameničná, Komárno – Kava, Vrbová nad Váhom – časť Hliník, Martovce, Jatov a Tvrdošovce,
• Slovenský kras: Hrhovské rybníky, Gemerská Hôrka, Vidová, Slavec, Brzotín a Turňa nad Bodvou.
• Košická kotlina: Bočiar – Seňa, Kokšov – Bakša, Čanianske jazero, Ždaňa, Nižná Myšľa a Krásna,
• Ondavská rovina: Zemplínske Hradište a Trebišov – Olšina,
• Medzibodrožie: Kráľovský Chlmec, Veľký Horeš – Strážne, Klin nad Bodrogom a Viničky, Nová Vieska pri Bodrogu a Somotor,
• Senianske rybníky: Bajany.